Beet Pesto Recipe to Support Mental Wellness
June 28, 2021
Beet pesto is always a hit in the Learning Kitchen! This alternative to basil pesto not only tastes delicious but also provides significant health benefits. The pigment that gives beets their deep pink color is a vasodilator, which relaxes blood vessels. This helps increase blood flow throughout your body, including to your brain. Beets are packed full of antioxidants that are especially important for helping the body carry out its natural detoxification functions. Additionally, the nutrient-rich walnuts in the pesto provide omega-3 fatty acids which help fight inflammation and prevent disease, and walnuts have been proven to support good brain function as you age.
Ingredients for Beet Pesto:
- 1 cup beets, peeled and roasted
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt/pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan (optional)
- Roast beets by preheating oven to 375 degrees F. Toss the beet cubes in a drizzle of olive oil and roast on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Serving Suggestions: Top toasted bread with beet pesto, goat cheese and a drizzle of honey.
Learn More About Nutritional Wellness