Coming Soon - Adolescent Mental Health Treatment and Adolescent and Young Adult Eating Disorder Treatment

Learn More +Close

Health Information Management & Compliance

Health Information Management: Medical Records

All requests for medical records, FMLA, short-term disability forms, and long-term disability forms are handled by the Health Information Management Department. Please take a moment to review the FAQs below. If there are further questions, please contact us by phone at 980-859-2125 or email at

Medical Records FAQ

1. How do I request my medical record?

You may request your medical records by filling out the HopeWay authorization. Once completed, please email the authorization to, fax it to 980-859-2147 or mail it to 1717 Sharon Road West, Charlotte, NC, 28210 for processing.

Medical Records Request Form

2. How do I request medical records for someone else?

Only parents, legal guardians, or Healthcare Power of Attorney may request records for a client or former client by completing the authorization found here or by using the form above. Healthcare Power of Attorneys may only request records if the patient is currently incapacitated. Documentation of this must be provided from a physician. Along with the completed authorization, a copy of the paperwork (Healthcare Power of Attorney, Guardianship, etc.) with a photocopy of your valid, government issued photo ID must be submitted. All supporting documents may be faxed to 980-859-2147, emailed to or mailed to 1717 Sharon Road West, Charlotte, NC 28210.

3. How is the information requested provided to me?

The information can be provided via fax, secure email (up to 5 MB), or paper copies based on the delivery method chosen on the authorization form.

4. What information will I receive?

You will specify on the form what information you would like to have released. In compliance with Federal Law, your provider may approve, modify or deny your request. If your request is denied, a letter will be sent to notify you of the denial reason.

5. Will I have to pay for my medical records?

Yes, unless the records are going to another healthcare provider or medical insurance company for purposes of reimbursement. Here are the fees for the various transmission methods:

  • Email: $15.00
  • Fax: $25.00

Paper records rates according to NC State Law:

  • $0.75 – pages 1-25
  • $0.50 – pages 26-100
  • $0.25 – pages 101- last page

Minimum fee of $10 if less than 14 pages.

*You may submit payment via credit card once you have received the invoice. Payment is due before records will be processed and released.

6. Why have I received an invoice for the release of my medical records?

Invoices for medical records are in compliance with HIPAA and state laws. HopeWay is required to notify you up front of any fees associated with your request so the invoice serves as the notification.

7. How long will it take to receive my medical records?

Requests for records may take up to 30 days to fulfill which is in compliance with Federal Law. In the event more than 30 days is necessary, you will be notified via email or mail with a letter stating what the cause of delay is and when you can expect your records. The extension to complete your request must be completed within an additional 30 days.


All suggestions, complaints, and grievances are addressed by the Compliance Department. Additionally, this department addresses any compliance issues related to local, state, and federal rules and regulations, as well as licensing standards and insurance company requirements.

To report/file a (1) client safety event, (2) client concern, (3) family concern, (4) community concern, and/or suggestion / complaint / grievance to HopeWay, use our Client Feedback Form, or by one of the alternate contact methods listed.

client feedback form

ATTN: Chief Compliance Officer
1717 Sharon Road West
Charlotte, NC 28210

To report/file a (1) client safety event, (2) client concern, (3) family concern, (4) community concern, and/or suggestion/complaint/grievance to North Carolina Division of Health Services Regulation or The Joint Commission, please, use one of the contact methods listed below.

North Carolina Division of Health Services Regulation

NC Division of Health Services Regulation
Complaint Intake Unit
2711 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699

The Joint Commission

The Joint Commission
ATTN: Office of Quality and Patient Safety
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181